- Ziman, John M.
- The power of the SCIENTIFIC METHOD is not that it keeps any one of us from ERROR but that by MUTUAL CRITICISM and PERSUASION we gradually clarify and correct each other's INTUITIONS, until they become part of the canon of the subject תתת To understand SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE, we must not only understand SCIENTIFIC IGNORANCE; we must also understand SCIENTIFIC ERROR . . . The scientific system . . . makes allowances for individual ERROR, and it has techniques for checking and correction. . . . The only arbiter of truth is NATURE, interrogated by EXPERIMENT .. .
- I am arguing that all genuine SCIENTIFIC PROCEDURES of though and argument are essentially the same as those of everyday life, and that their apparent FORMALITY and supposed RIGOUR is a result of SPECIALIZATION.
- Zimmerman, R.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
- Zucker, Wolfgang. M.
TIME is the condition of EXPERIENCE which threatens my EXISTENCE when that EXISTENCE of mine is no longer in accord with it.
- Zuckerman, Solly
It is an unsafe assumption, born of anthropomorphic generalizations about animal behaviour and vague thought about evolution, that if HUMAN BEHAVIOUR itself will not reveal those 'BASIC INSTINCTS AND IMPULSES', comparison with the lives of other organisms will.
- Zukay, Gary
- Unfortunately, when most people think of 'PHYSICS', they think of chalkboards covered with undecipherable SYMBOLS of an unknown MATHEMATICS. The fact is that PHYSICS is not MATHEMATICS. PHYSICS, in essence, is SIMPLE WONDER at the way things are and a DIVINE (some call it COMPULSIVE) INTEREST in how that is so. MATHEMATICS is the TOOL of PHYSICS. Stripped of MATHEMATICS, PHYSICS becomes pure enchantment.
- SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTIONS are forced upon us by the DISCOVERY of phenomena that are not COMPREHENSIBLE in terms of the old theories. Old theories die hard. Much more is at stake than the theories themselves. To GIVE UP our privileged position at the center of the universe, as Copernicus asked, was an enormous psychological task. To accept that nature is fundamentally IRRATIONAL (governed by chance), which is the essential statement of QUANTUM MECHANICS, is a powerful blow to the intellect. Nonethless, as new theories demonstrate superior utility, their adversaries, however reluctantly, have little choice but to accept them. In so doing, they also must grant a measure of recognition to the world views that accompany them.
- Today, particle accelerators, bubble chambers and computer printouts are giving birth to another WORLD VIEW. This WORLD VIEW is as different from the WORLD VIEW at the beginning of this century as the COPERNICAN WORLD VIEW was from its predecessors. It call upon us to RELINQUISH many of our closely clutched IDEAS. In this WORLD VIEW there is no SUBSTANCE.